“It’s wonderful to know that Montserrat continues to support its former students, and I feel fortunate to have attended such a dedicated school.”Lindsey Mason ’11
Montserrat’s Career Design Studio facilitates career exploration and professional development for all students and alumni. Our staff helps students apply the same creative processes they use in their studio classes to the exhilarating and life-changing work of designing their future.
The Career Design Studio walks alongside students during all four years at Montserrat, creating opportunities for them to articulate goals and aspirations, try out career ideas, and receive practical advice and feedback from industry professionals.
- Individualized life coaching and career brainstorming during the Career Design Studio course, sophomore year.
- On the ground experience during the required internship, junior year.
- One on one mentorship with a creative professional, second semester senior year.
The Studio also assists individuals who are hoping to launch freelance careers or start their own businesses, with specific workshops and courses designed to kickstart student business ideas prior to graduation.
The Career Design Studio has its home in the Schmid Career Center, a brainstorming and incubator space available for all students, faculty, and staff. Located on the second floor of 248 Cabot Street, the Center is equipped for in-person and virtual workshops, group ideation sessions, and individual exploration.
Resources & Programming
Through a combination of coursework, resources, and programming, the Career Design Studio helps students and alumni gain strategies for developing sustainable creative practices and attaining industry-related opportunities.
These resources and programs include:
- An appointment calendar for direct access to individual Career Coaching and Internship Advising with Career Design Studio staff.
- Montserrat Works, an online job and career resource board, where employment opportunities, internships, exhibition opportunities, grants, residencies, and career guides are shared exclusively with the Montserrat community.
- Professional Practice Grants, accepting applications three times a year to support current Montserrat students’ proposals for funding their businesses, participating in internships that require travel or housing, attending conferences or workshops in their field, or completing residencies.
- Art World Learning, a series of financial health videos and learning materials presented by and for creatives, on topics such as freelance finance, budgeting, taxes, credit, debt, investing, and intellectual property.
- A career resource library of graduate school information and professional practice books, located in the Schmid Career Center.
- The Career Closet, which provides professional clothing free of charge to current students.
- Resume & Cover Letter Workshops
- Professional Reviews
- Career Fairs and Recruiter Tables
- Additional programming such as alumni panels, artist talks, networking opportunities, and professional practice workshops on various topics offered throughout the academic year.