Whether you are working on an academic paper, drafting an artist statement, writing a poem or story or using text in your visual work, the Writing Studio is the place for you. Writing Studio tutors and learning specialists are artists, writers, faculty and students who provide free, one-to-one tutoring to all students during any part of the writing process.
What we offer
In addition to help with writing, our tutors and learning specialists can:
- Assist in the organizational and prewriting process for assignments.
- Offer techniques for improving note taking, studying, critical reading skills and testing-preparation strategies.
- Help students mange their time and prioritize.
- Provide resources for improving writing skills, including grammar assistance.
- Guide and assist with the revision process.
- Review things like how to cite sources properly, and avoid plagiarism.
- Help students with communication, presentation and critique skills.
- Design workshops for classes and assist faculty in developing writing assignments and exam questions.
Ways to Work
1. Make an Appointment:
Students may sign up for an hour of tutoring each week. There is an appointment book at the Writing Studio entrance. Sign up early – slots fill quickly! Students can also email Thewritingstudio@montserrat.edu to arrange appointments.
2. Drop In:
If the tutors on duty don’t have other scheduled appointments, they are happy to work with you.
3. Work Independently:
The Writing Studio is a quiet and comfortable place to read, study and write. Students can bring their laptops or use one of our computers or printers.