Transfer of Credit Policies and Articulation Agreements
Transfer students play an important role in the Montserrat community. Often, students who have attended another college or university will not only have advanced standing in their classroom work, but will also bring in new ideas and experiences, and act as leaders in the community.
Transfer applicants should submit all of the same application materials as first-time students with the addition being that you must submit official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended.
You may transfer studio and liberal arts credits for courses in which the content parallels Montserrat’s own program of study. Only courses carrying a grade of C or better from other accredited colleges or universities are eligible for transfer. A maximum of 30 studio art credits and 30 liberal art credits earned may be transferred. Montserrat reserves the right to decline credit for coursework that is more than ten years old.
For the art college transfer student, the review of transfer credits for studio coursework requires you to submit a portfolio including examples that demonstrate the accomplishment of college level coursework. You may also be asked to submit detailed course descriptions for clarity on course content.
Montserrat College of Art has fourteen articulation agreements with community colleges. Montserrat College of Art guarantees the acceptance of students who completed an Associate of Arts degree or Associate of Science degree at these community colleges with an overall GPA of 2.5 or better to the Bachelor of Fine Arts program at Montserrat College of Art. Montserrat College of Art will accept no more than 60 credits in transfer from the two-year college. These Articulation Agreements are based upon the evaluation of course descriptions presented to Montserrat College of Art. Courses as listed in the agreements will transfer to Montserrat College of Art provided a grade of “C” or better has been earned. Montserrat College of Art requires that 50% of the coursework is completed in residence; a minimum total of 120 credits must be completed to earn the Bachelor of Fine Arts degree.
Montserrat College of Art has established articulation agreements with:
- Delaware College of Art and Design, DE
- Community College of Rhode Island, RI
- Greenfield Community College, MA
- Herkimer Community College, NY
- Housatonic Community College, CT
- Hudson Valley Community College, NY
- Great Bay Community College, NH
- Massasoit Community College, Canton MA
- Miami Dade College, FL
- Northern Essex Community College, MA
- North Shore Community College, MA
- Quinebaug Valley Community College, CT
- Southern Maine Community College, South Portland, ME (In development)
- York County Community College, ME
- Niigata College of Art and Design, Japan (In development of transfer credit for an articulation agreement for the BFA degree and a one semester studio intensive study program.)
In addition to the colleges listed above, many of our students transfer to Montserrat from colleges such as:
- Bunker Hill Community College, Boston, MA
- Berkshire Community College, Pittsfield, MA
- Bucks County Community College, Newtown, PA
- Cape Cod Community College, West Barnstable, MA
- Community College of Baltimore County, Baltimore, MD
- Holyoke Community College, Holyoke, MA
- New Hampshire Technical Institute, Concord, NH
- Montgomery College, Silver Spring, MD
- Middlesex Community College, Lowell, MA
- Mount Wachusett Community College, Gardner, MA
- Norwalk Community College, Norwalk, CT
- Quinsigamond Community College, Worcester, MA
If you have questions about transferring to Montserrat from another institution, please contact the Admissions Office.