StudioXL (Studio for Experiential Learning) engages Montserrat students, faculty and alumni in transformative experiences from the classroom to the real world.
StudioXL brings together Montserrat’s diverse range of experiential learning opportunities under one roof. Opportunities include client-driven work, project learning and interdisciplinary, collaborative coursework that engage students in real-world problem solving. This innovative approach helps students transition from college to professional life, priming them for career success. StudioXL supports strategic partnerships between the College and community partners, providing creative solutions and serving as a vital resource for the North Shore’s creative economy. New partnerships are being formed with businesses and organizations ranging from game developers and publishers to global manufacturers and non-profits.
CURRENT EXAMPLES OF INITIATIVES THAT FALL UNDER THE STUDIOXL UMBRELLA INCLUDE:
- A highly successful 3-credit required internship program; 52% of student interns have been offered positions from their placement sites
- The Schmid Career Services office, established in 2014
- A wide range of discipline specific professional practice courses such as
- The Business Of Art
- Across Borders, a course where students worked in collaboration with a local non-profit organization to help immigrants communicate through art
- “Across the Bridge: Three Perspectives” combining fieldwork, research, and art making
- In-house production services such as:
- Letterpress printing offered through Imposition Press
- Video production through Montserrat Media
- Product design solutions from prototyping to production
- A developing partnership with an area design firm to establish a creative agency providing the highest quality design work for non-profit organizations