Title –Studio Technician of the Fabrication Lab
Duration: Academic year, one year position.
Status: Full-time, non-exempt position
Start Date– August, 2020-July 2021
The Studio Technician of the Fabrication Lab will coordinate resources, policies, and activities that pertain to the hands-on prototyping and fabrication lab. The Technician of the Fabrication Lab will work to develop policies for use of the facilities, institute training and safety protocols, and teach workshops.
Major Functional Areas and Description of Duties:
- Develop written processes and procedures and execute training on specialized equipment.
- Propose and develop faculty and student workshops.
- Work with CTS (Computer Technology Support) on development of budgets and supply needs
- Help create and manage an innovative interdisciplinary space using new tools of rapid prototyping and digitally driven software including machine shop tools, laser cutters, milling machines, 3D printers, injection molding machines, woodworking tools, electronic bench supplies, computers (Mac and PC).
- Maintain daily records of activities of members and partners use of lab equipment, tools, and supplies to be able to develop strategies for queuing jobs and using resources in a sustainable way.
- Perform checks of equipment, perform routine maintenance, and work with outside vendors.
- Create an environment for open exchange of ideas and collaboration opportunities.
- Hires and manages student lab monitors and interns.
- Coordinates and collaborates with other Studio Technicians about Academic programming needs, process and procedure.
- Work with the Faculty and staff on the development of programming and assist with curricular needs.
- Other tasks as assigned.
Qualifications: (Experience, Skills & Abilities)
BA or BFA in Art or Design related discipline is required.
- Working knowledge and experience in Makerspace and manufacturing labs and/or advanced manufacturing or rapid prototyping tools including 3D printers, laser cutter, CNC, lathes, milling, injection molding, PCB fabrication and testing.
- Understanding of use of hand tools, electronics, relevant computer software, hardware, and various other technologies.
Complexity and Organization:
- Strong interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to work effectively without direct supervision.
- Ability to interact with diverse individuals at all levels.
- Ability to promote programs and proactively work to meet goals and expectations
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to accomplish multiple tasks, work under pressure and meet deadlines.
Working Conditions/Physical Demands:
- Ability to lift heavy materials (50lb).
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time.
Please forward a letter of interest, a current resume/cv to the Human Resources department at Montserrat College of Art, email@example.com , with the subject line “Fab Lab Studio Technician.” Application deadline: August 3, 2020, The applicant should also include images of personal work and images of prior student work (if possible), and a course outline that includes the core concepts and learning objectives of the course due to the possible element of studio teaching/mentoring.