Position Title- Sculpture Technician
Reports to – Academic Facilities Liaison
Status- Full-time, Exempt, 37.5 hours per week
Summary Statement: Provides technical support and assistance to both faculty members and students in the Sculpture, Foundation and other departments as needed. Maintains a safe working environment throughout the facilities. Work with Department Chairs and Program Coordinators to oversee all safety regulations, including updating and maintaining MSDS forms, maintaining safety equipment, and overall compliance with safety regulations from EPA and OSHA.
Major Functional Areas and Description of Duties:
- Maintain and manage studios that offer wood and metal fabrication, plaster carving, mold making and casting, ceramics, fibers and a wide variety of processes involving alternative materials.
- Stock and replenish departmental supplies as needed.
- Work with Program Coordinators, order supplies to ensure appropriate inventory levels.
- Oversee the proper use of equipment and tools, instructing students and other employees as needed.
- Maintain a safe working environment throughout the facilities.
- Work with Department Chairs and Program Coordinators to oversee all safety regulations, including updating and maintaining MSDS forms, maintaining safety equipment, and overall compliance with safety regulations from EPA and OSHA.
- Maintain all classrooms, shops and work spaces, keep in working order, ready for all classes, clean as required; coordinate with department faculty on all facilities needs.
- Maintain all storage areas students and faculty.
- Communicate with administration, faculty and students regarding studio access, scheduling and upkeep.
- Support and maintain Digital Fabrication Studio equipment housed in the 301 Cabot building.
- Communicate with the Digital Fabrication Studio Director about Digital Fabrication equipment use, monitoring and maintenance.
- Conduct equipment repair and facilities upgrade to support classes each week.
- Work with College Facilities department on occasional joint projects.
- Supervise student monitors for Sculpture, scheduling, training and assigning duties to new and existing monitors.
- Communicate with and support the Studio Technician on shared projects.
- Help prepare for special workshops, visiting artists, shows, and Open House.
- Prepare all studio classrooms, shop and storage for the start of the semester. Organize and clean all studios and student storage at the end of the semester and academic year.
- Work with the Academic Facilities Coordinator, and Hardie Studio Technician to oversee Senior Fine Arts Workspace needs and B248 academic studios.
- Support Facilities Department on repairs and upgrades to campus during the Summer months.
- Other duties as assigned.
Eligible candidates with a Master’s degree or equivalent may have to opportunity to add a teaching component to this position. Teaching 3- 4.5 credit per semester as part of their duties as Sculpture Technician. Masters in Fine Arts preferable. Experience teaching in a Higher Education setting.*
Qualifications: (Experience, Skills & Abilities)
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent. Bachelors in Fine Arts is preferred.
- Master’s degree or equivalent. Masters in Fine Arts is desired. (For candidates interesting in the additional teaching component*).
- Prior experience with studio management and multiple Sculpture
- Prior experience in maintaining inventory.
- General understanding of OSHA and EPA safe workplace regulations required.
Office and Administrative Skills:
Must have practical knowledge of Google Drive or equivalent, and basic computer literacy.
Complexity and Organization:
Excellent organizational skills and ability to accomplish multiple tasks.
- Ability to problem-solve and work effectively without direct supervision.
- Ability to work in an independent and proactive manner to meet goals and expectations.
Working Conditions/Physical Demands:
Ability to work in a studio setting among hazardous materials, specialized and dangerous equipment;
- Manual dexterity to use computers and standard office equipment,
- Ability to lift and carry supplies and other materials (30lbs).
- Ability to sit and/or stand for extended periods of time.
Special Notations or Conditions of Employment:
Occasional weekend and evening work required.
Please submit a letter of interest and current resume to the Human Resources department at Montserrat College of Art, firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line “Sculpture Technician” Resumes must be received by October 29, 2019