Position Title: Pre-College Residence Director (RD)
Reports to: Director of Campus Life
Status: Temporary, exempt position, Summer 2019
Montserrat College of Art seeks an ambitious and enthusiastic individual to join our summer 2019 Pre-College team! The ideal candidate will be self-motivated, flexible, passionate about student success, and a positive team member.
Pre College Program Description: Montserrat College of Art’s three-week summer residential Pre-College Program (July 7 – July 28, 2019) is designed for high school students 16 years and older, and provides an intensive introduction to the life and expectations at an art college while enhancing their portfolios for art college. Students receive rigorous visual art instruction and time to cultivate their foundation drawing skills, as well as discover new subjects and mediums through our elective offerings. The Pre-College Program mirrors the personalized scale of our BFA program, affording students small class sizes and individual attention.
Summary Statement: The Pre-College Residence Director (RD) position is responsible for the supervision, time management, conduct, crisis response, counseling, housing operations, and program development within the College’s summer Pre College program. The RD will work closely under the direction of the Director of Campus Life. This role will provide current students enrolled in a bachelor’s or master’s program experience working with and helping to develop college aged students. Through the various responsibilities of the position, the RD will gain experience in and first-hand practice utilizing theory within job responsibilities. If the RD is seeking course credit, learning outcomes and progress will be reviewed and discussed at a weekly meeting.
Major Functional Areas and Description of Duties:
● Supervise, develop and evaluate RA staff through:
o Regular one-on-one supervisory meetings and necessary follow-up on issues and concerns.
o Feedback to RAs regarding performance expectations and growth areas.
o Timely communication and dissemination of information through regular individual staff meetings.
o Being actively involved in student activity and program planning.
● Plan and implement a training program for Pre-College RAs prior to the start of the program, in collaboration with Admissions and Campus Life Staff members.
● Support RA programming efforts by assisting in the development of engaging programs and attending programs.
● Serve in a rotating on-call system of nighttime and weekend duty coverage for the campus, in partnership with full-time professional staff.
● Manage and facilitate daily RA staff meetings and meetings with Campus Life and Program coordinators twice weekly.
● Engage with pre-college students on a daily basis as well as counsel, advise and refer students to other college offices or community resources when appropriate.
● Work with the Director of Campus Life to coordinate administrative processes in the residential facilities including housing placements, damage billing, room condition/ health and safety inspections, opening and closing of facilities, and maintenance/facilities needs.
● Other duties and responsibilities as directed.
Qualifications: (Experience Skills & Abilities)
● Current enrollment, in an undergraduate, or graduate, college-level academic program (recent Masters graduates will also be considered).
● Previous live-in residential life experience.
● Ability to work effectively and communicate clearly with a wide array of individuals, including but not limited to; colleagues, students, staff, adolescents, and parents.
● Excellent verbal and written skills
● Strong interpersonal skills, a commitment to teamwork.
● Adaptability, enthusiasm, positive attitude, and a good sense of humor.
● Strong understanding of diversity, inclusion and social justice.
● Working knowledge of basic computer software: Word, Excel, Google Education Suite
● Prior experience with group and/or individual counseling, advising, and/or mediation.
● Previous experience in student staff training and/or community development actives.
● Experience working with adolescents.
● Internship or Practicum Credit (the candidate must speak with their academic program to ensure the position qualifies for credit).
● Stipend of $1200 less taxes.
● Partially furnished private apartment-style living space.
● Free parking.
Terms of Internship:
● Start Date- Monday, June 24, 2019
● Pre-College Program dates- July 7-July 28
● End Date- Friday August 2, 2019
Please submit a letter of interest and current resume to the Human Resources department at Montserrat College of Art, firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line “Pre-College Resident Director” Resumes must be received by Wednesday, May 22, 2019.