Position Title- Assistant Director of Campus Life
Reports to – Director of Campus Life
Status- Full-time, Exempt.
Montserrat College of Art is an independent institution of art, offering ten concentrations in the visual arts. Located in Beverly, MA, the college enrolls just under 400 students with 290 living in on-campus residences.
Summary Statement- Reporting to the Director of Campus Life, the Assistant Director of Campus Life (ADCL) is responsible for assisting with the management of the Campus Life program. Campus Life at Montserrat includes Housing and Residence Life, Student Engagement and Leadership as well as Community Standards. Major responsibilities include the organization and execution of campus-wide programming, clubs and organizations, and orientation. Together, the Campus Life staff collaborates with other campus offices to provide safe and comfortable living-learning spaces and opportunities on campus. The staff aims to advise, support and guide students, helping them grow and develop through one-on-one interactions, engagement opportunities, educational outreach, supervision and advisement.
Specific supervision responsibilities include orientation leaders, campus life student workers, and resident assistants. The assistant director is expected to work well and collaborate with all offices on campus to ensure student success and retention. This is a full-time, live-on position.
Major Functional Areas and Description of Duties:
- Oversee fall and spring new student orientation programs by:
- Recruiting, selecting, training and supervising the orientation leader staff.
- Communicating with campus partners to schedule and plan educational sessions.
- Planning all logistics; reserving space, booking speakers, securing additional equipment and supplies, coordinating all catering, etc.
- Coordinating starter kit distribution.
- Communicating pertinent information regarding Orientation with incoming students.
- Supervise Resident Assistants in their role as community developers through:
- Regular one-on-one supervisory meetings and necessary follow-up on issues and concerns.
- Training and guidance around group dynamics, communication skills, conflict mediation, crisis management, academics, and community building/programming efforts.
- Oversee Campus-wide programming through:
- Advising Student Voice, Montserrat’s student government and it’s student programming board.
- Working with students interested in offering campus events for the student body.
- Developing and presenting inspiring programming that will promote student engagement, personal and community development and assist in retention.
- Working with and advising Student Voice by:
- Attending Student Voice meetings.
- Meeting with executive board members on a bi-weekly basis.
- Coordinating elections for spring and fall.
- Assisting in the development of Student Voice sponsored trips and weekly campus events and programs.
- Developing and hosting a Student Voice member retreat at least once per academic year.
- Support student leadership and engagement by:
- Advising students on club development including preparation of paperwork, advisor selection, and review of policies.
- Training students in effective program planning, organizational management and leadership skills development.
- Serving as a resource to faculty/staff advisors for student organizations regarding club activities.
- Coordinating (with assistance from the Campus Life Team) the annual Montserrat Leadership Summit.
- Serve as an integral member of the larger Student Affairs Team by:
- Attending campus meetings, including staff meetings and trainings, weekly Campus Life meeting and additional planning meetings.
- Participating in Student Affairs events such as departmental programs, tabling, late night breakfast, move-in, kickball day, etc.
- Serve on committees and represent Student Affairs in special projects as appropriate.
- Monitor and develop the student life budget with the Dean of Students.
- Provide guidance and serve as a resource to faculty and staff related to student leadership learning, student engagement and student development.
- Serve in the Administrator–on-call rotation:
- When classes are in session, the Director of Campus Life, Assistant Director of Campus Life and Graduate Assistant share on-call responsibilities.
- When classes are not in session (breaks and summer), the Director of Campus Life and Assistant Director of Campus Life share on –call responsibilities, assisted by the Graduate Assistant when possible.
- Serve as a hearing officer for community standards violations and student conduct cases.
- Assist with the planning and execution of residence life activities as requested (room lottery, RA selection/training, etc.).
- Assist with/participate in College sponsored campus-wide events including, but not limited to, Convocation, Commencement, Admissions Open Houses, Accepted Students Day, the College-wide Student Showcase /Recognition Day, and Artrageous.
- Assist with crisis situations as needed.
- Attend weekly RA staff meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications: (Experience, Skills & Abilities)
- Master’s degree in higher education, counseling or related area of study.
- Prior Residence Life and student engagement experience.
- Excellent verbal and written skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, a commitment to quality teamwork.
- Self-motivated, works well on both group and individual projects.
Office and Administrative Skills:
- Must have practical knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel, and basic computer literacy.
Complexity and Organization:
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to accomplish multiple tasks, work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Ability to problem-solve and work effectively without direct supervision.
- Ability to work in an independent and proactive manner to meet goals and expectations.
Working Conditions/Physical Demands:
- Ability to lift heavy materials (20lb boxes).
Special Notations or Conditions of Employment:
- On campus living is required.
- Must be able to work additional hours including on call, weekends and evenings.
Please submit a letter of interest and current resume to the Human Resources department at Montserrat College of Art, firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line “Assistant Director of Campus Life” Resumes must be received by May 30, 2019.