Position Title- Admissions Counselor
Reports to – Director of Admissions
Status- Full-time, exempt.
Start Date– January 6, 2019.
Summary Statement-The Admissions Counselor is responsible for a wide range of activities related to recruitment and enrollment of new undergraduate and pre-college program students. This position serves as a first point of contact for prospective students and their families, providing information and advisement on the admissions process, financial aid, academic program and curriculum, student services programs, and the general educational, residential and extra-curricular environment at the college. The Admissions Counselor travels extensively in the fall; conducts presentations, reviews portfolios, provides data entry, tracks, completes, and reviews applications in support of the enrollment goals of the College. This position works collaboratively with the entire admissions staff to provide strategic and operational direction around territory and inquiry management and to meet and exceed the College’s enrollment goals. The Admissions Counselor reports to the Director of Admissions.
Major Functional Areas and Description of Duties
- Serves as a primary contact for high school art teachers, guidance counselors, prospective students and their families relative to their interest in the College.
- Represents the College at a variety of on-and off-campus events including college fairs, portfolio days, school visits and on-campus admission events.
- Prepares and presents digital slideshow lectures to high school and community college art departments to introduce the College to prospective students and further strengthen art educator relationships.
- Extensive local, regional and national travel (surface and air) is required including weekends and evenings, particularly during the fall recruiting season.
- Develops and maintains assigned recruitment territories and itineraries.
- Maintains communication of travel schedule with admissions office.
- Maintains thorough record keeping and reporting of activities and expenses relating to the recruitment.
- Counsels prospective students and evaluates application materials, including the portfolio of visual art and academic credentials for the purpose of admission to the College.
- Runs and utilizes basic database reports for management of recruitment pool.
- Participates and assists in the development of admissions programs and events.
- Assists in the processing of applications and conducts campus tours.
- Assists the Director of Admissions with other projects as needed.
Qualifications: (Experience, Skills & Abilities)
- Bachelor’s degree is required. Bachelor of Fine Arts degree is preferred, especially one from a regionally accredited, independent college of art.
- Prior admissions or art instruction experience considered a plus.
- Ability to do extensive regional and national travel is necessary to promote the College, especially during the months of September through December.
- Excellent verbal and written skills are essential in this highly visible position.
- Strong public speaking skills.
- Commitment to enrolling and retaining a diverse student body.
- Strong interpersonal skills, a commitment to quality teamwork.
- Skilled at building rapport and maintaining strong relationships with key stakeholders.
- Self-motivated, works well on both group and individual projects.
- Good sense of humor.
Office and Administrative Skills:
- Must have practical knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel, and basic computer literacy.
- Online social networking experience.
- Database management and experience considered a plus.
Complexity and Organization:
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to accomplish multiple tasks, work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Ability to problem-solve and work effectively without direct supervision.
- Ability to work in an independent and proactive manner to meet goals and expectations.
Working Conditions/Physical Demands:
- Ability to lift heavy materials (50lb boxes).
- Ability to travel for extensive periods of time.
Special Notations or Conditions of Employment:
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
- Must be able to work additional hours including weekends and evenings.
Please submit a letter of interest and current resume to the Human Resources department at Montserrat College of Art, email@example.com, with the subject line “Admissions Counselor”. Internal applications must be received by November 19, 2019.